Managing Stress Being a College Student
Undoubtedly, college life is more demanding, since it requires significantly lots of motivation, effort and independence from students. Due to these academic standards, college students are bound to experience greater levels of stress. Developing new skills can be a good way to balance academic demands and expectations with a healthy lifestyle. Improving time management and stress management skills is helpful in terms of reducing the levels of stress.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of stress?
Stress is an inevitable part of everyday life that can be both harmful and useful. When your natural balance is altered,your body and your mind must somehow react. Thus, hormones that help you deal with the challenging situation are released. At the same time, some other functions of your body and mind are less active. For instance, the level of your concentration is reduced. This way, stress harms your physical and emotional health.
However, there are some cases when stress can be helpful, since it prompts your body to avoid danger. For example, a fire alarm warns you about a life-threatening hazard or a deadline motivates you to make the assignment on time.
The fact remains that you are responsible for bringing about your own stress. But the good news is that we can manage stress by practicing specific strategies.
What are the indicators of stress?
Whenever you experience a difficulty concentrating, short temper, increased worrying, headaches, or changes in your eating or sleeping habits, it is high time to take care of your health. Mental disorders are hard to notice, since everyone responds differently to stressful circumstances. However, if you have difficulties managing stress, here are some helpful tips.
Practical ways of reducing and managing stress
- Managing stress is impossible without a feeling of a healthy balance in your everyday life. Thus, it is essential to learn how to manage your responsibilities, gain your goals and still have some time for yourself. Time management skills are very important in gaining success and avoiding unnecessary levels of stress.
- Keep in mind that procrastination is your biggest enemy, since it steals your valuable time. Procrastination affects many aspects of your life and, consequently, deprives you of a proper sleep and a good mood. Do not let stress have an effect on your mental and physical health.
- Doing sports is a good way of dealing with stress, isn’t it? While doing physical activity, you burn off the energy and emotions that are generated by stress. Therefore, it is highly recommended to exercise regularly.
- Good sleep habits can ensure that you are less stressed and well-rested. The majority of physical and mental problems are caused because of sleep deprivation.
- It is also recommended to limit or even better eliminate caffeine consumption. Instead of drinking enormous amount of coffee, you'd better take breaks from work by spending some time outdoors. Another way of clearing your mind is listening to your favorite music.
Whenever you face stress, consider these handy tips, so that you stay calm and productive.