Job Search Opportunities for High School Students
It can be extremely hard to find a job for a high school student. But there are things you can do to stand out in the crowd and get hired. Read on to learn the best tips!
How to Find a Job: Tips for High School Students
- Don’t Be Shy. Tell about your intention to find a job to everyone you know. Thus you’ll start building what they call a job network and might find a good job reference from your relative, friend, or anyone else you know.
- Start Close to Home. It’s one of the easiest jobs to get hired in your neighborhood. People know you there and you won’t have to go to another end of the city for work. Seek for such kinds of work as babysitting, pet sitting, landscaping, mowing lawns, or whatever else you can or want to do.
- Keep an Open Mind. Don’t limit yourself to particular kinds of jobs. Keep your ears and eyes open to catch the opportunity that comes. And remember: even if you take on a job that doesn’t seem to be very good at first, it may turn out to be much better than you thought.
- Check the Rules. See how much you’re allowed to work depending on your age and what positions you can take lawfully.
- Write a Resume. Even though there’s no work experience to include into it, your resume will show the seriousness of your intentions.
- Check with the Guidance Office at Your School. They may provide you with job search recommendations and listings.
- Job Search Online. Do it on a regular basis as new positions appear every day.
- Apply for Many Jobs. After you apply, follow up by emailing or calling the employer. Don’t just sit and wait.
- Dress Appropriately for an Interview. Your clothes need to be clean and neat. You have to look professional.
- Be Flexible. See when you can work and tell your employer that you can try to find some other hours, if required.
- Volunteer. Yes, this work won’t be paid. But still, you’ll get very good experience that you will be able to add to your resume later. Needless to say, you will also develop important new skills.
Those are the best job search tips that you can use looking for a job as a high school student!